I found the list of advice below posted on Twitter by Devs Helping Devs, copied from (I assume) the therapyforwomen Instagram account. I can't find the original because Instagram's search is unhelpful. I also can't find a non-image source and I wanted plain text because accessibility helps everyone, so here we are. I love several of these, especially "Build trust with yourself by keeping your word to yourself"; it's a good reminder when I feel like slacking off. Note that I'm not saying this list is an alternative to therapy, just that some of it is good self-help advice for me.
If you can't afford therapy, do this...
- Follow therapists on Instagram
- Read self help books
- Journal or engage in some type of self reflection or self study
- Practice mindfulness in some capacity
- Take care of your body (movement, sleeping, sunlight, rest, food etc)
- Create a support network
- Learn to set + maintain boundaries
- Build trust with yourself by keeping your word to yourself
- Practice self compassion when you slip and mess up on this journey